There was once a millionaire who loved money than anything else in the world. He didn’t know exactly how much he had, so he took on a little girl to 31 all his money for him.
It 32 the little girl six days to count all the money. When she told the millionaire that he had forty-two 33 dollars, he was 34 with joy and asked, “How much 35 do you want?” He thought that 36 she was only a child, he could 37 her into taking a very small amount of money.
The girl said, “well, I worked for six days, so I think you 38 pay me for six days. Give me two pennies for the first day. Each day after that, just give me the amount you give me the day before, multiplied by itself.
The 39 thought that in this 40 he would only have to give her a 41 dollars. What a 42 little girl! So immediately, he 43 his lawyer sign up the contract, fearing that she would change her 44 .
On the first day the millionaire paid her two pennies, and on the second day, two pennies times two pennies, or four pennies.
Each day after that, he gave her 45 number of pennies he had given her the day before, multiplied by itself. And by the sixth day, the foolish millionaire had to give the clever little girl all his money.
31. A. bring B. count C. send D. hide
32. A. had B. needed C. got D. took
33. A. million B. dozen C. thousand D. hundred
34. A. pride B. wild C. surprised D. moved
35. A. dollars B. number C. time D. pay
36. A. as if B. though C. if D. because
37. A. warn B. advise C. cheat D. set
38. A. could B. would C. should D. might
39. A. girl B. millionaire C. two D. people
40. A. measure B. way C. point D. means
41. A. few B. little C. less D. much
42. A. nice B. clever C. fine D. foolish
43. A. ordered B. asked C. had D. persuaded
44. A. mind B. heart C. word D. plan
45. A. good B. great C. a D. the